Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 30th July 2006
BS.Player Newbie

Hathor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BSPlayer and BSPlayer Pro update upgrade installs

This should be covered in the FAQ, but it isn't. These are general questions about upgrading that don't pertain to a specific version of the player.

I understand that backing up <username>.xml and copying it back after the upgrade will preserve my settings.

BSPlayer (free)

To upgrade to a new version of BSPlayer (free), can I install it over the existing version, or should I uninstall the current version and install the new?

To upgrade from BSPlayer (free) to BSPlayer Pro, can I install Pro over Free or should I uninstall Free first before installing Pro?

BSPlayer Pro

To upgrade to a newer versions of BSPlayer Pro, can I install it over the existing version, or should I uninstall the current version and install the new?
Old 30th July 2006
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BSPlayer and BSPlayer Pro update upgrade installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathor
(edited)
  1. I understand that backing up .xml-file and copying it back after the upgrade will preserve my settings.
  2. To upgrade to a new version of BSPlayer (free), can I install it over the existing version?
  3. To upgrade from BSPlayer (free) to BSPlayer Pro, can I install Pro over Free or should I uninstall Free first before installing Pro?
  4. To upgrade to a newer versions of BSPlayer Pro, can I install it over the existing version?
  1. Yes, but note there may be more .xml files to consider! Depending on the version and OS you're using, they may be in BSPlayer's installation folder or in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\BSPlayer (Pro)\
    (Additionally: also think of e.g. .bsl-playlist-files which you may have saved and want to keep.
    And, while we're at it: there may also be a bsplay.sav file (still always) in BSPlayer's installation folder, which you want to keep.)
  2. Yes
  3. I think - in principle - you can, but to benefit from Pro version's not requiring WhenU Save, I would nevertheless suggest to uninstall BSPlayer (free) and WhenU Save first and then install Pro version
  4. Yes
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 30th July 2006
BS.Player Master

Default Going back from a BSPlayer 2.x to a BSPlayer 1.x version

Please note when going back from a BSPlayer 2.x to a BSPlayer 1.x version (or installing BSPlayer1.x over a 2.0 version): the settings .xml file of 2.x version is not downward compatible with 1.x version. So in such situation you should delete the existing .xml file (or rename the folder it's in) before being able to start BSPlayer 1.x without an error.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 30th July 2006
BS.player Regular User

Eddie1506 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, Peter, while we're at saving xml files, when are you going to allow newer versions of BSPlayer to save xml files in instalation folder instead of AppData?
Old 30th July 2006
BS.Player Master

Hello Eddy1506,
FYI, I'm just a fellow BSPlayer-user (just like you) and I'm not a member of BSPlayer-team. So I will have to wait just like you, if and when the developpers will realize this feature request.
Old 2nd August 2006
BS.player Regular User

Eddie1506 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha ha! I always had the impression that you wrote BSPlayer :) :)
Old 2nd August 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1506
Ha ha ha! I always had the impression that you wrote BSPlayer :) :)
Well, I'm not. I'm not even a programmer nor am I connected in any way to software houses. I've also mentioned that in quite a few earlier posts in these forums already. (I have a managerial job in the Dutch financial sector.)

Tags
installs, update, upgrade